-- Mitroglou/Samaris v Sokratis in the Champions League --
The UEFA Champions League Round of 16 draw produced some anticipating encounters including a battle between Greek Internationals Kostas Mitroglou/Andreas Samaris and Sokratis Papastathopoulos.
Today’s UEFA Champions League Round of 16 Draw saw the pairing of Benfica and Borussia Dortmund with both teams housing Greek Internationals. Kostas Mitroglou and Andreas Samaris of Benfica will look to pull off the surprise result and eliminate Sokratis Papastathopoulos’ Borussia Dortmund. Benfica finished second in Group B behind Napoli while Borussia Dortmund won Group F ahead of Real Madrid, Legia Warsaw, and Sporting Lisbon. The three players are the only Greek players competing in the knockout stages of Europe’s premier club competition.
Bayern/Arsenal and PSG/Barcelona are the encounters that stuck out from today’s draw. Bayern and Arsenal have met 10 times since 2000 and the Germans have knocked out Arsenal in the Round of 16 in 2005, 2013, and 2014. In yet another draw, Barcelona and PSG were paired together with the Spanish club having eliminated PSG in the semi-final stage in 2013 and 2015.
UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE ROUND OF 16 DRAW RESULTS
- Manchester City (ENG) - Monaco (FRA)
- Real Madrid (ESP) - Napoli (ITA)
- Benfica (POR) - Borussia Dortmund (GER)
- Bayern Munich (GER) - Arsenal (ENG)
- FC Porto (POR) - Juventus (ITA)
- Bayer Leverkusen (GER) - Atletico Madrid (ESP)
- Paris Saint Germain (FRA) - Barcelona (ESP)
- Sevilla (ESP) - Leicester City (ENG)