- Advice & Support from the Greek Players for Santos -
Fernando Santos is one game away from winning the European Championship with Portugal and he has full support from Greece. The Greek Euro 2004 players gave advice on how Santos can overcome the favorites of France while his former Greek players are pulling for Portugal tonight.
Former European Champions Antonis Nikopolis, Vassilis Tsiartas, Trianos Dellas, and Kostas Katsouranis stated how Portugal can overcome the ultimate favorites in tonight UEFA Euro 2016 Final, France. The former Greek International players are well aware how to defeat the heavy favorites as they defeated many big-name opponents on their way to the Euro 2004 Final.
- Dellas: “The pressure is with France. Portugal needs to play like they have nothing to lose.”
- Nikopolidis: “To reach the final is in of itself a major accomplishment for Portugal. If the opponent was eaiser things would be different. Now they must think that anything they accomplish after this is a plus.
- Tsiartas: “Since we won in 2004 of course Portugal can win today. The key is concentration and to take advantage of the chances they create. There might not be a lot of chances, since logically France will have more of the possession, but enough opportunities for the win. If France takes the lead, it could be a problem from Portugal since they will need to respond aan take risks.”
- Katsouranis: It is different when you have the whole stadium against you, but as time passes you ignore it. Portugal has many experienced players, like Ronaldo, Pepe, and Moutinho, who will not be bothered by the environment. Whoever makes less mistakes, like we saw between France/Germany, will win today’s match.”
In addition, Santos’ former players with Greece wished him good luck in today’s Euro 2016 final. Specifically, Mitroglou, Torosidis, Katsouranis, and Samaris posted on their social media sites in support of Santos.
From us at AGONAsport, we are with Santos! Good luck Portugal!