Calathes gets All-EuroLeague First Team nod

Calathes gets All-EuroLeague First Team nod
 

A standout season for Panathinaikos influential playmaker hasn’t gone unnoticed after the Greek international received an All-EuroLeague nod…

Watch LIVE from AGONAsport the Greek Cup Final between AEK & PAOK on Saturday, May 12th.  

A historic season for Nick Calathes has earned the Panathinaikos point guard the special honour of being named to the All-EuroLeague First Team along with the EuroLeague’s best players.
 
A career-best season for Calathes saw the Greek international set a new EuroLeague record for the most assists in a single season with a total of 249 and an average of 8.03 assists per game.
 
Perhaps Calathes’ best performance of the season was his consistency as he managed to deliver at least 10 assists in 13 outings for Panathinaikos in the EuroLeague. As a capably playmaker for the Trifylli, Calathes’ ability to find his teammates in scoring positions paired brilliantly with his own ability to score.
 
Calathes’ two-pronged threat in the offensive end saw the 29-year-old regularly strike for a trademark double-double featuring double-digit finishes in points and assists – which with 11 double-doubles on the season also set a new EuroLeague record.
 
Despite Panathinaikos’ playoff round exit, Calathes made further history in the playoffs by setting a single-game record in the EuroLeague when he dished out 16 assists in game one of Panathinaikos’ series against Real Madrid.
 
Although Calathes has been a solid performer in the EuroLeague for several seasons and during both of his stints with Panathinaikos, this is the first time Calathes has been named to the All-EuroLeague First Team.
 
Joining Calathes in the First Team is CSKA’s Nando de Colo, Real Madrid’s teenage sensation Luka Doncic, Baskonia Vitoria Gasteiz’s power forward Tornike Shengelia, and Fenerbahce big man Jan Vesely.
 
Voting for the All-EuroLeague First Team included fans and accredited media members, with the media voting counting for 75% and fan voting counting for the remaining 25%.
 

 
by Peter Katsiris
Image Source: .gr
Thank you for visiting AGONAsport.com, the only English based website for Greek sports fans across the world! Like us on Facebook, follow us on  Instagram, and Twitter for all the latest news in Greek Sports!