MitroGOL with the Ethniki
In Saturday’s qualifier against Belgium, Kostas Mitroglou scored his 13th goal for the Greek National Team and climbed up to 10th in Greece’s all time scoring charts. AGONAsport.com looks back at all of Mitroglou’s goal with the National Team.
1. 15 August 2012, Norway - Greece 2-3 (Friendly): MItroglou finally scored his first goal with the National Team after 14 caps, finding the back of the net in spectacular fashion in a friendly against Norway. View video at 1:30.
2. 11 September 2012, Greece - Lithuania 2-0 (World Cup Qualifying): Mitroglou’s first important goal with the National Team came in Greece’s 2-0 win over Lithuania in World Cup qualifying. Mitroglou doubled Greece’s lead after Ninis opened the scoring in the 56th minute. View video at 4:15.
3-4. August 2012, Austria - Greece 0-2 (Friendly): Kostas Mitroglou’s first two goal game with the Ethniki came in a friendly match against Austria. Mitoglou opened the scoring in the first half with a brilliant first touch sending him in on goal, putting the chance away, and in the second half his powerful strike was too strong for the opposing keeper to push out.
5. 6 September 2013, Liechtenstein - Greece 0-1 (World Cup Qualifying): In what was suppose to be an easy World Cup qualifying match, it took Greece 72 minutes to break down Lichtenstein’s defense with Mitrogou’s goal giving Greece a narrow 0-1 win. View at 4:20.
6-7. 15 November 2013, Greece - Romania 3-1 (World Cup Qualifying Playoffs): In one of Greece’s most important matches in recent year’s, Mitroglou scored twice to lead Greece to a 3-1 win over Romania in the first leg of the World Cup qualifying playoffs. Mitroglou opened the scoring in the 14th minute with a well placed effort from Salpingidis’ long-ball and in the second half with a half volley, he gave Greece an important 2-goal advantage before the second leg in Romania. View at 00:35 and 3:35.
8. 19 November 2013: Romania - Greece 1-1 (World Cup Qualifying Playoffs): Four days later, Mitroglou sealed Greece’s place at the 2014 World Cup by scoring a vital away goal in Romania, giving Greece the 0-1 lead in the 23rd minute. Despite Romania’s second half equalizer, Greece won on aggregate and earned a place in Brazil. View at 2:00.
9. 11 October 2015: Greece - Hungary 4-3 (Euro 2016 Qualifying): In Greece’s final match of a horrendous Euro 2016 Qualifying campaign, Mitroglou scored his first goal in two years for the National Team helping Greece to a 4-3 win over Hungary. Mitroglou brought Greece level 3-3 before Kone’s header gave Greece their FIRST win in qualifying. View at 2:25.
10. 1 September 2016, Netherlands - Greece 1-2 (Friendly): In Greece’s attempt at a “new beginning”, Mitroglou helped Greece to a 1-2 confidence boosting victory over the Netherlands in a friendly match before World Cup Qualifying. Mitroglou’s header gave Greece the 0-1 lead as he recorded his 10th goal with the ethnosimo. View at 1:40.
11. 6 September 2016, Gibraltar - Greece 1-4 (World Cup Qualifying): Greece’s World Cup qualifying campaign got off to a great start with Mitroglou starring in Greece’s 1-4 win away to Gibraltar. The Greek forward scored Greece’s opening goal with an impressive volley and provided two assists. View at the beginning.
12. 7 October 2016, Greece - Cyprus 2-0 (World Cup Qualifying): Mitroglou scored in his second consecutive game in World Cup Qualifying scoring Greece's first goal in a 2-0 victory over Cyprus. View at 00:25.
13. 25 March 2017, Belgium - Greece 1-1 (World Cup Qualifying): In his only shot of the game, Kostas Mitroglou put Greece ahead in their crucial World Cup qualifier against Belgium. If it were not for a late goal from Lukaku, Greece would have recorded one of their biggest wins in recent years. View at 00:45.