PAOK’s Prijovic putting new Athenian strikers to shame
Aleksandar Prijovic has had an excellent start to the season for PAOK having already scored five times in all competitions. However, in Athens it is a different story as this summer’s striker signings have yet to find their form with their new clubs.
This summer’s transfer window was one of the busiest in Greek Superleague history as the Big-4 spent a good amount of money to bring in high quality players with hopes for a successful season. The big three Athenian clubs (Olympiacos, Panathinaikos, AEK) each enhanced their attacking lines by signing key strikers for the new season, however their investments have yet to pay off.
Olympiacos signed Djurdjevic and Emenike for a total of €4,500,000, AEK grabbed the Las Palmas duo of Araujo and Livaja on one-year loan deals for €1,500,000, while Panathinaikos signed Chavez and Luciano for €1,750,000. PAOK were the only team from Greece’s Big 4 to not sign a striker as they had valuable options from last season including Prijovic, Koulouris, and newcomer Limnios. As of now, their stance has paid off as Prijovic has been a goal scoring machine for the Dikefalos tou Vora having already scored five goals this season in all competitions.
The Athenian clubs spent a combined total of over €12.550.000 (transfer fees and contracts) this summer to strengthen their respective attacking lines. The result? A total of 9 goals in 47 appearances from the six players listed above while PAOK’s Prijovic has scored five times alone.
- The 23-year-old striker came to Piraeus from Partizan on a €2,500,000 transfer fee and earns €700,000 annually. In four games with the Erythrolefki, he has scored one goal (a penalty).
- Emenike joined Olympiacos from Fenerbahce for a €2,000,000 transfer fee, while his annual salary exceeds €1,500,000. In eight games with the Erythrolefki, he has scored three goals.
- The Argentinian striker joined AEK on a one-year loan deal from Las Palmas for a fee of €800,000, while his annual salary is €700,000. In seven appearances for the Kitrinomavri he has only scored one goal.
- Also on loan from Las Palmas for a fee of €700,000, the 24-year-old Croatian striker will earn €650,000 this season. In twelve games with the Enosis, he has scored two goals.
- Chavez was purchased from Boca Juniors for a fee of €1,350,000 and earns approximately €600,000 per year. In seven games with the Trifylli, Chavez has scored two goals.
- Luciano Neves was purchased from Brazilian side Corinthians for €400,000 with annual earnings of €650,000. The Brazilian has failed to score in nine appearances and was recently ruled out for 6-months after an ACL injury.