Retsos tops most expensive Greek transfers ever
As Panagiotis Retsos prepares for the next stage of his career in the Bundesliga with Bayer Leverkusen, he does so as the most expensive Greek transfer of all time. Retsos’ €22 million move from Olympiacos to Bayer Leverkusen near the close of the summer transfer window shattered the old mark set in 2014 by Kostas Mitroglou.
Mitroglou’s moved to Fulham three and a half years ago from Olympiacos for a reported fee of €15.2 million had broken the previous mark held since 2006 when Giourkas Seitaridis signed for Atletico Madrid from Dynamo Moscow for €12 million.
The list belows shows the top 10 Greek player transfers in history. Needless to say, despite the ongoing problems in Greek football, top young players from Greece seem to be increasing in value. Certainly, that also has much to do with the inflation of prices in the transfer market itself.
Six of the top 10 on this list have been transfers that have occurred in the last decade. Also of note is that Olympiacos are the undisputed leader amongst Greek clubs for selling their talent. No other Greek team features in this top 10, while the Piraeus side are involved in sales of four of the top 10 transfers, including three of the top four.
Top 10 Most Expensive Greek Player Transfers
- Panagiotis Retsos (Olympiacos to Bayer Leverkusen) €22 million
- Kostas Mitroglou (Olympiacos to Fulham) €15.2 million
- Kostas Mitroglou (Benfica to Marseille) €15 million
- Kostas Manolas (Olympiacos to Roma) €13 million
- Giourkas Seitaridis (Dynamo Moscow to Atletico Madrid €12 million
- Giourkas Seitaridis (Porto to Dynamo Moscow) €10 million
- Andreas Samaris (Olympiacos to Benfica) €10 million
- Sokratis Papastathopoulos (Werder Bremen to Borussia Dortmund) €9.9 million
- Nikos Machlas (Vitesse to Ajax) €8.5 million
- Georgios Samaras (Heerenveen to Ajax) €8.5 million