Spanoulis bolsters Greek dominance in EuroLeague passing
After Vassilis Spanoulis became the all-time assists leader in the EuroLeague, AGONAsport’s Peter Katsiris takes a look at the success of Greek passers…
WATCH Greek Sports and much more from any device with LIVE GREEK TV from AGONAsport! Details and purchase here!
Vassilis Spanoulis’ 8-assist effort against Unicaja Malaga on Friday night helped the Greek guard overtake former Greece and Panathinaikos teammate Dimitris Diamantidis for first all-time among EuroLeague passers.
Although Diamantidis and Spanoulis hovered at the top of the assists statistic for quite some time, Greece’s dominance over the statistic stretches far further than just number one and number two.
Former Olympiacos playmaker Theodoros Papaloukas ranks fifth all-time as three of the top five assist leaders are of Greek heritage.
In fact, four of the top 10 passers in the EuroLeague are Greek while another two Greeks appear in the top 20 and are quickly closing in on the top ten.
Most EuroLeague Assists
1. Vassilis Spanoulis* (Greece) 1,260 assists, 4.63 assists-per-game
2. Dimitris Diamantidis (Greece) 1,255, 4.51
3. Miloš Teodosić** (Serbia) 1,126, 4.75
4. Thomas Heurtel* (France) 1,001, 5.72
5. Theodoros Papaloukas (Greece) 977, 3.88
6. Sergio Llull* (Spain) 902, 3.82
7. Sergio Rodríguez* (Spain) 896, 4.67
8. Nikos Zisis* (Greece) 879, 2.84
9. Juan Carlos Navarro* (Spain) 832, 2.45
10. Pablo Prigioni (Argentina) 804, 4.32
13. Nick Calathes* (Greece) 684, 4.72
16. Kostas Sloukas* (Greece) 562, 3.10
* denotes player is still currently active and with a EuroLeague club.
** Milos Teodosic is currently active but playing in the NBA with the Los Angeles Clippers.