UEFA Rankings: Czechs take over 13th spot, Greece drop to 14th
Despite AEK’s important draw on the road to AC Milan, Greece succeeded 13th place in the UEFA Association Coefficient Rankings to the Czech Republic.
For a second consecutive UEFA Champions/Europa League week, Greece dropped in the UEFA Association Coefficient rankings. After this week's results, the Czech Republic jumped ahead of Greece into 13th place with Slavia Prague and Zlin picking up two draws (Viktoria Plzen lost) while Greece’s representatives only managed to pick up one draw with AEK’s goalless result away to AC Milan (Olympiacos lost to Barcelona).
Austria pulled further ahead of Greece with Red Bull Salzburg’s win over Konyaspor (Austria Wien lost to Rijeka) while the big winners of the week where the Swiss sides, with two wins and one draw. Basel continued their stellar form in the Champions League with their 0-2 win away to CSKA Moscow while Lugano defeated Viktoria Plzen and Young Boys drew Dynamo Kyiv in the Ukraine. This brings Switzerland within 0.600 points of Greece for 14th spot in the rankings.
For the Full Coefficient rankings and breakdown, visit here.
Greece’ goal for the 2017/18 UEFA Association’s Ranking
A reminder, Greece’s goal is to finish 12th in the UEFA Association's rankings by the end of the season. This translates into five European representatives for the 2019/20 UEFA season and at least two automatic berths in the 2019/20 Europa League group stages. Greece will fight with Austria, the Czech Republic, and Switzerland for 12th place.
If Greece finish 12th, the 2018/19 Superleague champion will begin in the 2019/20 UEFA Champions League playoff qualifying round (secures at minimum Europa League group stage place), while the 2019 Cup champion will be granted an automatic place in the Europa League group stages, avoiding qualifying all together.
If Greece finish 13th-14th, the 2019 Superleague champion will begin in the UEFA Champions League third qualifying round while the 2019 Cup champion will begin in the Europa League third qualifying round. Thus, this scenario does not yield an automatic group stage birth in the 2019/20 Europa League.
The full breakdown of Greece’s goal finish in this year’s UEFA Associations’ rankings is explained in depth here.
Summary of Results for Those Fighting for 12th
11. Netherlands: 28.749
- Feyenoord lost at home to Shakhtar Donetsk and Vitesse drew away to Zulte Waregem
- The Netherlands received 0.200 points this week
- Greece and the Netherlands received the same amount of points this week
12. Austria: 28.100
- Red Bull Salzburg defeated Konyaspor and Austria Wien lost at home to Rijeka
- Austria received 0.500 points this week
- Austria gained 0.300 points on Greece
13. Czech Republic: 27.575
- Viktoria Plzen lost away to Lugano, Slavia drew away to Villarreal, and Zlin drew FC Kobenhavn at home
- Czech Republic received 0.400 points this week
- Czech Republic gained 0.2000 points on Greece
14. Greece: 27.400
- Olympiacos lost away to Barcelona and AEK drew away to AC Milan
- Greece gained a total of 0.200 points this week
15. Switzerland: 26.800
- Basel defeated CSKA Moscow, Young Boys drew away to Dinamo Kyiv , Lugano defeated Viktoria Plzen
- Switzerland received 1.000 points this week
- Switzerland gained .8000 points on Greece