-- GREEK TEAMs uefa competitions --
ACTIVE TEAMS: OLYMPIACOS, AEK
greece 2017-2018 uefa representatives
At the end of the 2015-2016 season Greece was ranked 14th in the UEFA Associations’ Club Coefficient Ranking. This rankings means that Greece is represented by 5 teams for this year’s 2017-2018 UEFA Competitions, 2 teams to the Champions League and 3 teams to the Europa League. This year's UEFA representatives are based off last year’s 2016/17 Greek SuperLeague and Greek Cup results and are as follows:
- Olympiacos: Greek SuperLeague 2017 Champion - Enters UEFA Champions League 3rd Qualifying Round (Champions Route)
- AEK: Greek SuperLeague 2017 Runner-up - Enters UEFA Champions League 3rd Qualifying Round (League Route)
- PAOK: Greek Cup 2017 Winner - Enters UEFA Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round.
- Panathinaikos: Greek SuperLeague 2017 3rd placed - Enters UEFA Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round
- Panionios: Greek SuperLeague 2017 5th place - Enters UEFA Europa League 2nd Qualifying Round.
**The Greek Cup Champion is granted an automatic place in the Europa League, however since PAOK won the 20167Greek Cup and has already qualified for the Europa League through the SuperLeague, the extra Europa League placement was awarded to the 5th placed team from the 2017 SuperLeague, Panionios.
Greek teams have had much success in the various UEFA competitions, however a Greek team has never won a UEFA Competition. The closest Greek team to winning a competition was Panathinaikos in the 1971 Champions League (previously, The European Champion’s Club Cup) when they made it to the final and lost to Ajax 2-0. Additionally, Panathinaikos has advanced to the Champions League Semi-Finals on two other occasions in 1985 and 1996. Also, In 1997 AEK advanced to the Semi-Finals of the UEFA Cup (now Europa League). In the last decade, Olympiacos has had the most success from the Greek Clubs by advancing to the Champions League Round of 16 in 2008, 2010, and 2014 and the Europa League Round of 16 in 2012. Panathinaikos has also recently advanced to the Round of 16 of the Champions League (2009) and Europa League (2010). Over the years Greece has been represented in UEFA Competitions by many teams including: Olympiacos, Panathinaikos, AEK, PAOK, Larissa, Aris, Iraklis, Panionios, Atromitos, OFI, Asteras Tripolis, Skoda Xanthi, Egaleo, Panachaiki, Olympiacos Volou, Apollon Smyrnis, Ionikos, Kastoria, and Athinaikos. Below are the most successful accomplishments of Greek teams in UEFA Competitions:
- UEFA Champions League (previously, The European Champion’s Club Cup)
- Round of 16 (Post 2003): Olympiacos (2008, 2010, 2013), Panathinaikos (2009)
- Quarter-Finals: Panathinaikos (1971, 1985, 1996, 2002), Olympiacos (1999), AEK (1969)
- Semi-Finals: Panathinaikos (1971, 1985, 1996)
- Final: Panathinaikos (1971)
- UEFA Europa League (previously, The UEFA Cup)
- Round of 16 (Post 2000): AEK (2001, 2002, 2003), Olympiacos (2005, 2012, 2017), Panathinaikos (2010)
- Quarter-Finals: AEK (1977), Panathinaikos (1988, 2003)
- Semi-Finals: AEK (1977)
- UEFA Cup Winner’s Cup (competition was stopped in 1999)
- Quarter-Finals: AEK (1997, 1998), PAOK (1974), Larissa (1985), Olympiacos (1993), Panionios (1999)