-- ABOUT THE GREEK BASkETBALL CUP --
2017 GREEK CUP CHAMPION: PANATHINAIKOS
The Greek Basketball Cup is Greece’s 2nd most important club basketball competition and takes place from September to March. The Greek cup consists of teams from both the first and second divisions (A1 & A2 Basket Leagues). The competition has 5 rounds, including the final. The current champion of the Greek Cup is Panathinaikos who defeated Aris 68-59 in this year's final on February 19, 2017. Below is the explanation of each round of the competition:
- First Round: The 1st round only consists of teams from the A2 Basket League. The 16 teams are drawn into 8 knockout pairs and the matches in this round are played under a single game knockout system. The eight winners advance to the 2nd round.
- Second Round (Mini-Tournament): The 2nd round consists of a mini-tournament with teams from both the A1 & A2 Basket Leagues competing for 2 spots in the Quarter-Finals. Since last year's top 6 teams from the A1 Basket League receive an automatic bye to the Quarter-Finals of the competition, the remaining 8 A1 teams enter this round. All matches in this round are a single game knockout. The 8 A1 teams are paired with the 8 winners from Round 1 to form 8 knockout pairs (phase 1). The 8 winners from phase 1 advance to play on in the 2nd Round's Phase 2, while the other 8 teams are eliminated from the competition. These 8 winners from phase 1 are further drawn into 4 knockout pairs to form phase 2. The four winners are then drawn into 2 pairs (phase 3), with the winners of each pair advancing to the Greek Cup Quarter-Finals.
- Third Round (Quarter-Finals): The top 6 teams from last year's A1 Basket League receive an automatic bye to this round of the tournament. They are met with the 2 winners of the 2nd Round's mini tournament and the teams are drawn into 4 knockout pairs, playing under a single game knockout system. The four winners advance to the Semi-Finals.
- Fourth Round (Semi-Finals): The 5th round consists of the 4 teams that advanced from the Quarter-Finals. The 4 teams are drawn to form 2 knockout pairs, playing under a single game knockout system. The two winners advance to the Greek Cup Final.
- Fifth Round (Final): The final consists of the 2 teams that advanced from the Semi-Finals. Only one match is played at a neutral site. The final will take place on February 19th at a neutral site, which will be announced at a later date. The winner of this match is crowned the Greek Basketball Cup champion.
The Greek Cup was first held in 1975 and moved to the Final Four system from 1994-2004. Since then, there has been multiple formatting changes with the current format including all teams from both the A1 & A2 Basket Leagues. Six different teams have won the competition including Olympiacos (9), Aris (8), AEK (3), PAOK (3), Panionios (1) and Panathinaikos who has the most titles with 18.