UEFA RANKINGS: Austria jump ahead of Greece into 12th
This week’s result saw Austria bypass Greece in the UEFA Association’s Rankings as they moved into 12th place while Greece dropped to 13th.
This week, Greece saw their UEFA Association’s ranking drop to 13th after Austria bypassed Greece thanks to Red Bull Salzburg’s win over Marseille while Olympiacos tasted defeat away to Juventus in the Champions League. AEK’s late equalizer against Austria Wien was of great importance as it kept Austria within Greece’s striking distance for the upcoming matchdays. Austria now sit on 27.450 points while Greece are behind on 27.200 points.
The Czech Republic and Switzerland also gained ground on Greece after each association celebrated a win this week (Viktoria Plzen and Basel). The Czechs are only 0.025 points behind Greece while Switzerland still sit behind by 1.2000 points. For the Full Coefficient rankings and breakdown, visit here.
Greece’ goal for the 2017/18 UEFA Association’s Ranking
A reminder, Greece’s goal is to finish 12th in the UEFA Association's rankings by the end of the season. This translates into five European representatives for the 2019/20 UEFA season and at least two automatic berths in the 2019/20 Europa League group stages. Greece will fight with Austria, the Czech Republic, and Switzerland for 12th place.
If Greece finish 12th, the 2018/19 Superleague champion will begin in the 2019/20 UEFA Champions League playoff qualifying round (secures at minimum Europa League group stage place), while the 2019 Cup champion will be granted an automatic place in the Europa League group stages, avoiding qualifying all together.
If Greece finish 13th-14th, the 2019 Superleague champion will begin in the UEFA Champions League third qualifying round while the 2019 Cup champion will begin in the Europa League third qualifying round. Thus, this scenario does not yield an automatic group stage birth in the 2019/20 Europa League.
The full breakdown of Greece’s goal finish in this year’s UEFA Associations’ rankings is explained in depth here.
Summary of Results for Those Fighting for 12th
13. Greece: 27.200
- Olympiacos lost away to Juventus and AEK drew at home to Austria Wien
- Greece gained a total of 0.200 points this week
11. Netherlands: 28.549
- Both Feyenoord (@ Manchester City) and Vitesse (@ Nice) were defeated
- The Netherlands received 0.000 points this week
- Greece gained 0.200 points on the Netherlands
12. Austria: 27.450
- Red Bull Salzburg defeated Marseille and Austria Wien tied away to AEK
- Austria received 0.750 points this week
- Austria gained 0.550 points on Greece
14. Czech Republic: 27.175
- Viktoria Plzen defeated Hapoel Beer Sheva, Slavia drew Astana, Zlin defeated by Lokomotiv Moskva
- Czech Republic received 0.600 points this week
- Czech Republic gained 0.4000 points on Greece
15. Switzerland: 26.000
- Basel defeated Benfica, Young Boys drew Skenderbeu , Lugano defeated by Steaua Bucuresti
- Switzerland received 0.600 points this week
- Switzerland gained 0.4000 points on Greece